Wednesday, November 5, 2008

From poo-tato stories, to deep thoughts. Diversity baby! Actually, I'm just trying to convince myself that our futures are not totally screwed! Sorry Kanooer, no funny today!

This was on Lucianne today.


7. Invictus

OUT of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance 5
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade, 10
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate: 15
I am the captain of my soul.

8 comments:

allison said...

I agree and take great comfort in knowing that I alone determine my destiny. Evil leaders can't take away our agency no matter how hard they try, because it was never theirs to give.

Nevertheless, we're told it will have to get worse before it can get better. It's just depressing to see it spiraling down so quickly. Viva la Mormons! We'll be the ones to fix it. (Note Proposition 8, for example.) We just need to raise our kids well.

mom said...

I learned that poem in high school. It's called Invictus. Good one.

motherload said...

allison,
Now I know for sure that you are teaching your chilren well,(I really never doubted) yesterday after school the kids and I were talking about Obama, and Wyatt said "Samantha said that he is Satan's advasary" so not only are you teaching them well, but using big words. That's awesome!

allison said...

I don't know where Samantha came up with that, as I would have referred to Obama as just "Satan" or just "the Adversary."

On a similar note, the night before the election we were explaining Obama's tax plan to Sam and Jordan, and apparently Jordan was tuned in (she rarely listens to what we say), because the next day she said: "When I was at the lunch basket, I told (she named two boys) that Obama wants to take half the money from the people who work hard and give it to people who don't." A proud moment for Mommy.

motherload said...

I guess Satan's adversary is redundant, or it just means super duper bad.

Pam said...

when tiffany and nicole are fighting about things not being "fair", we tell them they are acting like democrats. we might as well tell them nobody in this world loves them. it is the ultimate insult in our home!

motherload said...

I'm going to start using that Pam, because I have been telling them that no one loves them and they don't care. (Mom, I really don't tell them that no one loves them, I just tell them that I hate them!)

Mom, please don't call, I don't tell them that I hate them.

Pam said...

whatever tracy, you do to.